Friday, October 29, 2010

Sister Wives Q & A

When I first heard of this show I was repulsed at the very idea. When I sat down to watch it I found myself in conflict with itself. On the one hand as a modern American woman I find the idea of a man married to more than one woman lawfully, religiously, or even just common law made me think the man was a pig. After watching the show I had to admit that though it's not a lifestyle I'd ever choose--they weren't crazy, evil cult like people who I couldn't understand. The most startling part was realizing that as much as I wanted to write them off as lunatic fringe types....I found myself finding a common humanity to them. I realized I was being prejudice against a lifestyle just because it doesn't appeal to me. That isn't fair to do. They have every right to live life any way they choose as long as they aren't harming others. After watching the show I couldn't tell you with any confidence that they have hurt anyone with their different choices. If you support things like gay marriage...or any alternative lifestyles at all--you have to accept this form too. Different isn't automatically BAD. Let he without sin cast the first stone. And I say that as an Agnostic more surprised than any could imagine about what that show has all ready taught me about my own prejudices for people who choose to live differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment