Saturday, May 1, 2010

Danielle J's Fork In The Road


"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? She asked. Where do you want to go? Was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter."-Lewis Carroll


The above quote is quite possibly my favorite quote in all of literature. It probably isn't very unique to have your favorite quote come from the imaginative mind of Lewis Carroll's genius. But I don't pretend to be the most unique person every to grace the surface of the planet earth.

I love the quote for the obvious reasons. I, like most everybody else have found myself wandering a literal Wonderland in my everyday reality since my life began. I've often found myself at the proverbial fork in the road contemplating whether or not the road my heart tells me take is better than the road that my analytical mind is trying to force me to take. I struggle with the decision much the same as anyone does when serendipitously my very own Cheshire Cat pops into view to inform me of the obvious truth I've been too blind to grasp while I've been worrying about which road is the right road to stroll along.

It has happened several times in my life and suspect it will keep happening until my life on this plane of existence is over. I always need my own personal Cheshire Cat to remind me that since I don't know where it is I'm trying to get--it hardly matters to cause myself anguish and worry over which direction I need to take when I have no clue to the location of my destination.

It serves as a beautiful reminder that even when I feel strongly I've taken the wrong path it hardly matters in the larger scheme of things. I don't know where I'm trying to get to in life expect this vague notion of a realm that feels more at home than this one. I'll know I'm there once I feel I'm back at home. That is simple enough isn't it? Yet it is not simple at all. At different times in my life I've felt as content and at home as anyone could ever hope to feel. Other times I feel so not at home it makes knowing what being at home feels insane. But these are all just other moving parts to the glory I call my life.

Nothing is absolute. Things are in constant motion. I will never be confined to one road because life is a series of forks in the road. Sometimes there are just two different paths branching off from the fork. Yet at other times there are so many winding pathways to navigate that they can't even be correctly counted. Through it all only some very basic tenets make sense at this point.

And that of course is:

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? She asked. Where do you want to go? Was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter."-Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment